Thursday, May 5, 2011

The local Olympic Lifting experience

Over time, I've done quite a bit of research on various methods to improve strength. From the research, I can say that there are methods which are very legit, such as barbell squats, deadlifts, presses etc. However, there are some methods which from my experience are downright nonsense, and I have no time for that:



Ok back to point. One of the methods which I've been interested in for quite a while is the Olympic Lifts. I quickly realized that this is not a popular sport nor training method in Trinidad & Tobago (which is a shame). Quite a surprise, since this training is used by high school, college and professional athletes in the USA, UK, Europe and other parts of the world. No wonder their athletes are light years ahead of our athletes.

As a matter of fact, Trinidad only has 1 (one) athlete representing us in Olympic Lifting. The athlete's name is Denise Ramsay-Overall. About three weeks ago, she hosted an Olympic Lifting exhibition, which I was glad to be a part of, and learned quite a bit of stuff. Here are some pics and a video of it:












So after that expo, my interest in the Olympic Lifts peaked so I started to try it out. Here is a vid of me trying the hang snatch:

No comments:

Post a Comment