Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I'm back

OK, I've been off the grid for quite a few months now, due to studies, exams,yada yada...but I'm back. I've been training very hard still, and I'm making progress with my training as well.

Over the past 3 months or so, I've been using a training protocol for my presses called the 'RKC ladder', which is a simple protocol to follow for improving the presses. It is made up of 'ladders' and 'rungs'. To explain what I mean, let's say we were doing 3 ladders of 3 rungs of presses. This would be

(1 rep, rest, 2 reps, rest, 3 reps) done 3 times

4 ladders of 3 rungs:

(1 rep, rest, 2 reps, rest, 3 reps) done 4 times

5 ladders of 5 rungs:

(1 rep, rest, 2 reps, rest, 3 reps, rest, 4 reps, rest, 5 reps) done 5 times

For more info on this you can purchase Pavel's book Enter the Kettlebell

Currently, I'm doing them with a 90# loaded barbell. Just made 3 ladders of 3 rungs on Monday. Will do 3 singles on Wednesday and 3 ladders of 2 rungs on either Thursday or Friday.

Before this week I was failing on the 3rd rung of the 2nd and 3rd ladders. However, I watched a 3 part Dan John DVD, with one of the titles being 'Carried Away', from davedraper.com



An exercise which caught my eye was the 'Overhead Walk':



I didn't do it with KBs like the people in the video. I did it with 2 50# dumbbells 2 times last week, and this week, I got through all my 3 ladders. Dan knew what he was talking about in that video. He also mentions them in this article. Feel free to take a read.

Also, I've been doing squats PTTP style, (2 sets of 5, lots of tension, not to failure). I'm now doing squats with more weight (100#+) than what I did before I got the knee injury. And I'm not using any knee wraps and any belt. As I said before, I don't know where I would have been today without PTTP. One of the best strength training books ever written.

I made a PR of 360# in the back squat yesterday. Before my knee injury my max lift was 250#.

My workout yesterday consisted of:

Squats
250# x 3
300# x 2
325# x 1
350# x 1
360# x 1

Overhead walks
8 x ~30 yds

Ab wheel rollouts
1 x 5 (standing)
1 x 2(standing)
1 x 3 (on knees)

50# loaded T-bar swings
30 sec swings/30 sec rest 6 times

No comments:

Post a Comment